Cabbage steaks with crispy pancetta and Parmesan
- High in fiber: Cabbage contains a good amount of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Rich in vitamins: Cabbage is packed with essential vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin B6. These vitamins contribute to overall immune health, blood clotting, and energy metabolism.
- Antioxidant properties: Cabbage contains antioxidants that help protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Low in calories: Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable, making it a great choice for those looking to manage their weight.
- Good source of minerals: Cabbage provides important minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium, which are necessary for maintaining healthy bones and muscle function.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 4 slices of pancetta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove any outer leaves from the cabbage and cut it into 1-inch thick slices.
- Place the cabbage slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cabbage steaks are tender and slightly crispy.
- In the meantime, cook the pancetta in a skillet over medium heat until crispy.
- Remove the cabbage steaks from the oven and top them with crispy pancetta and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips and Recommendations
- Make sure to choose a firm and fresh cabbage for the best results.
- You can experiment with different seasonings and spices to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Serve the cabbage steaks as a side dish or as a main course accompanied by a protein of your choice.
- To make the dish vegetarian, omit the pancetta and increase the amount of Parmesan cheese.
- For added crunch, sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top of the cabbage steaks before baking.
- Don't forget to adjust the cooking time based on your oven's temperature and the desired level of crispiness.