Butternut squash and chicken pies
A Delicious and Nutritious Dish: Butternut Squash and Chicken Pies
Butternut squash and chicken pies are a hearty and flavorful dish that combines the sweetness of butternut squash with the savory taste of chicken. This dish is not only delicious but also packed with nutritional benefits, making it a great addition to any meal.
1. High in Vitamins: Butternut squash is a great source of vitamins A, C, and E, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin, boosting the immune system, and protecting against oxidative stress.
2. Rich in Fiber: Both butternut squash and chicken contain dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps prevent constipation.
3. Protein Powerhouse: Chicken is a lean source of protein, providing the necessary amino acids for muscle growth and repair.
4. Antioxidant Properties: The bright orange color of butternut squash indicates the presence of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that helps reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Heart-Healthy: The combination of butternut squash and chicken provides a good balance of healthy fats and low cholesterol, promoting heart health.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until translucent.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the butternut squash and dried thyme to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, then pour in the chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to individual pie dishes or a baking dish.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into circles that are slightly larger than the pie dishes. Place the pastry over the filling and press the edges to seal.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let the pies cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips and Recommendations
- Serve the butternut squash and chicken pies with a side of fresh salad for a complete and balanced meal.
- If you prefer a vegetarian option, you can substitute the chicken with tofu or chickpeas.
- To save time, you can prepare the filling in advance and assemble the pies just before baking.
- Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Make sure to let the pies cool slightly before serving to avoid burning your mouth.
- Pair the pies with a glass of white wine or a refreshing fruit-infused water for a delightful dining experience.
- Butternut squash
- Chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Dried thyme
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Puff pastry