Buttermilk scones with sugar tops
A Delicious Scone Recipe: Buttermilk Scones with Sugar Tops
Buttermilk scones with sugar tops are a delightful treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. These scones are light, fluffy, and have a slightly tangy flavor thanks to the buttermilk. The sugar sprinkled on top adds a sweet crunch that perfectly complements the scone's texture. In this article, we will explore the nutritional benefits of these scones, provide practical tips for serving and preparing them, and guide you through the recipe. So, let's get started!
1. Rich in Calcium: Buttermilk is an excellent source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. One serving of these scones can provide a significant amount of your daily calcium requirement.
2. Good Source of Protein: These scones contain a decent amount of protein, thanks to the buttermilk and flour used in the recipe. Protein is important for building and repairing tissues, as well as supporting overall growth and development.
3. High in Vitamin B12: Buttermilk is a natural source of vitamin B12, which is crucial for maintaining a healthy nervous system and producing red blood cells. Including these scones in your diet can help ensure an adequate intake of this essential vitamin.
4. Provides Energy: The carbohydrates in these scones provide a quick source of energy, making them a great option for breakfast or as a midday snack. The buttermilk adds a good balance of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, keeping you satisfied and energized.
To make these delicious buttermilk scones with sugar tops, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Step 3: Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
Step 5: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
Step 6: Roll out the dough to about 1-inch thickness. Use a round biscuit cutter to cut out scones and place them onto the prepared baking sheet.
Step 7: Sprinkle the tops of the scones with granulated sugar.
Step 8: Bake the scones for about 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Tips and Recommendations
- Serve these scones warm with butter, jam, or clotted cream for a traditional British treat.
- For added flavor, you can incorporate dried fruits or chocolate chips into the dough before rolling it out.
- Make sure your buttermilk and butter are cold for the best texture and rise.
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes.
- These scones are best enjoyed the day they are baked, but you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- All-purpose flour (2 cups)
- Granulated sugar (1/4 cup + 1/4 cup for sprinkling)
- Baking powder (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- Buttermilk (3/4 cup)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
Now that you have all the necessary information and tips, it's time to embark on your culinary adventure and enjoy these delicious buttermilk scones with sugar tops!