Broccoli mac and cheese
Nutritional Benefits of Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Broccoli mac and cheese is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the goodness of broccoli with the comfort of cheesy pasta. This dish is not only a crowd-pleaser but also provides several health benefits. Let's take a look at the nutritional benefits of this delightful recipe:
- High in Fiber: Broccoli is a great source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
- Rich in Vitamins: Broccoli is packed with essential vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin A. These vitamins play a crucial role in boosting the immune system and promoting overall health.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: Broccoli contains antioxidants such as sulforaphane and glucoraphanin, which help protect the body against damage from harmful free radicals.
- Calcium and Vitamin D: The addition of cheese in this recipe provides a good dose of calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for strong bones and teeth.
- Low in Calories: Broccoli mac and cheese can be a guilt-free indulgence as it is relatively low in calories compared to other cheesy pasta dishes.
- Source of Protein: Broccoli contains a fair amount of protein, making it an excellent option for vegetarians and vegans.
Ingredients for Broccoli Mac and Cheese
To make this scrumptious dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Processing Steps for Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Step 1: Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions. In a separate pot, steam the broccoli florets until tender.
Step 2: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until well combined. Gradually pour in the milk while whisking continuously.
Step 3: Cook the milk mixture until it thickens and bubbles. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
Step 4: Drain the cooked macaroni and add it to the cheese sauce. Stir in the steamed broccoli florets.
Step 5: Serve the broccoli mac and cheese hot and enjoy!
Tips and Recommendations
- For added flavor, you can sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top before serving.
- If you prefer a creamier texture, you can add a splash of heavy cream to the cheese sauce.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, such as Monterey Jack or Gouda, to customize the flavor of your mac and cheese.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute the regular macaroni with gluten-free macaroni.
- Serve the broccoli mac and cheese as a main dish or as a side with grilled chicken or roasted vegetables.
- Elbow macaroni
- Broccoli florets
- All-purpose flour
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Remember to adjust the quantities based on the number of servings you plan to make. Enjoy your nutritious and delicious broccoli mac and cheese!