Blueberry and cream cheese crostata
- Blueberries: Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great choice for a healthy snack or addition to recipes.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. It also provides essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A and riboflavin.
- Crostata Crust: The crust of the crostata is typically made with flour, butter, and sugar. While these ingredients may not offer significant nutritional benefits, they add flavor and texture to the dessert.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare the Crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and granulated sugar. Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the lemon zest and pulse a few more times. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it gently. Shape it into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Assemble the Crostata: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread the cream cheese filling over the dough, leaving a border around the edges. Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the filling.
- Bake: Fold the edges of the dough over the filling, creating a rustic border. Brush the edges with an egg wash for a golden finish. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is set.
Tips and Recommendations
- Serve the blueberry and cream cheese crostata warm or at room temperature.
- You can dust the crostata with powdered sugar before serving for an extra touch of sweetness.
- Pair the crostata with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a delicious dessert.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When shopping for ingredients, make sure to choose fresh and ripe blueberries for the best flavor.
- You can customize the filling by adding other fruits like raspberries or strawberries.
- Experiment with different crust variations, such as using almond flour or adding spices like cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Enjoy this blueberry and cream cheese crostata as a special treat for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.