Battenberg cake recipe
Nutritional Benefits of Battenberg Cake
Battenberg cake is not only a delicious treat but also offers some nutritional benefits. Here are some of the key nutrients found in this delectable cake:
- Vitamin A: Battenberg cake contains vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining good vision and promoting healthy skin.
- Vitamin C: This cake is a good source of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin.
- Calcium: Battenberg cake provides calcium, which is crucial for strong bones and teeth.
- Iron: Iron is present in this cake, helping to transport oxygen throughout the body and prevent anemia.
- Dietary Fiber: Battenberg cake contains dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
Ingredients for Battenberg Cake
To make this delightful Battenberg cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Red food coloring
- Apricot jam
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Processing Steps for Battenberg Cake
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extract.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until well combined.
Step 4: Divide the batter in half. Add red food coloring to one half of the batter, mixing well to achieve a vibrant color.
Step 5: Pour the batters into separate prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
Step 6: Trim the edges of the cakes to create even squares. Cut each cake in half lengthwise to create four rectangular pieces.
Step 7: Heat the apricot jam in a small saucepan until smooth. Brush the jam over the sides of the cake pieces and stick them together, alternating colors to create a checkered pattern.
Step 8: Roll out the marzipan on a surface lightly dusted with confectioners' sugar. Place the cake on top of the marzipan and wrap it tightly. Trim off any excess marzipan.
Tips and Recommendations
- For a more intense almond flavor, add a few drops of almond extract to the apricot jam.
- Serve the Battenberg cake with a cup of tea or coffee for a delightful afternoon treat.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- To make the cake ahead of time, you can freeze it. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing.
- Experiment with different food coloring to create unique and vibrant patterns.
- Enjoy the Battenberg cake as a special dessert for birthdays, tea parties, or any occasion that calls for a delicious and visually appealing treat.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Red food coloring
- Apricot jam
- Confectioners' sugar