Barm brack recipe
Nutritional Benefits of Barm Brack
Barm brack is a traditional Irish fruitcake that is not only delicious but also packed with nutritional benefits. This tasty treat is made with a combination of dried fruits, spices, and tea-soaked bread, making it a wholesome choice for any occasion. Here are some of the key nutritional benefits of barm brack:
- High in Fiber: Barm brack contains a good amount of dietary fiber, which is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements and can aid in weight management.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: The dried fruits used in barm brack, such as raisins and currants, are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals. These include vitamin C, iron, and potassium, which are important for maintaining overall health and boosting the immune system.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: The dried fruits in barm brack are also rich in antioxidants, which help protect the body against harmful free radicals. Antioxidants have been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain types of cancer.
- Energy Boost: Barm brack is a great source of carbohydrates, which provide the body with the energy it needs to function properly. This makes it an ideal snack for athletes or anyone in need of a quick energy boost.
- Low in Fat: Barm brack is a relatively low-fat treat compared to other desserts. This can be beneficial for those watching their fat intake or trying to maintain a healthy weight.
Ingredients for Barm Brack
To make a delicious barm brack, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of strong black tea
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruits (such as raisins, currants, and chopped dates)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
Processing Steps for Barm Brack
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, follow these simple steps to make your barm brack:
- Prepare a cup of strong black tea and soak the mixed dried fruits in it for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and mixed spice.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and melted butter together. Then, add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Drain the soaked dried fruits and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the barm brack from the oven and let it cool before slicing and serving.
Tips and Recommendations for Serving Barm Brack
To enhance your barm brack experience, here are some tips and recommendations:
- Serve barm brack sliced and spread with butter or your favorite jam for a delightful snack.
- Enjoy a slice of barm brack with a cup of tea or coffee for a comforting afternoon treat.
- Barm brack can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. You can also freeze it for longer shelf life.
- Get creative and add your favorite nuts or spices to the recipe for a personalized touch.
- When purchasing ingredients, opt for organic and high-quality products whenever possible to ensure the best flavor and nutritional value.
- Strong black tea
- Mixed dried fruits (raisins, currants, chopped dates)
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves)