Banana and cocoa flapjacks recipe
Nutritional Benefits of Banana and Cocoa Flapjacks
Banana and cocoa flapjacks are not only delicious but also packed with several nutritional benefits. These flapjacks are a great source of energy and provide essential nutrients that contribute to a healthy diet. Here are some of the top nutritional benefits of this recipe:
- High in Fiber: The combination of oats and bananas in these flapjacks provides a good amount of dietary fiber. Fiber helps in promoting healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation.
- Rich in Potassium: Bananas are known for their high potassium content. Potassium is essential for maintaining proper heart and muscle function. It also helps in regulating blood pressure levels.
- Good Source of Antioxidants: Cocoa is rich in antioxidants, specifically flavonoids. These antioxidants help in reducing inflammation in the body and protect against oxidative stress.
- Provides Essential Vitamins and Minerals: This recipe contains vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, and iron. These nutrients play a crucial role in maintaining overall health and well-being.
- Boosts Mood: Flapjacks made with cocoa contain natural compounds that can boost serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that helps regulate mood and promotes feelings of happiness and well-being.
To prepare these delicious banana and cocoa flapjacks, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter of your choice
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Mash the bananas: Start by mashing the ripe bananas in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Add the rolled oats, cocoa powder, honey or maple syrup, almond butter, dark chocolate chips (if using), vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt to the mashed bananas. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the baking dish: Grease a baking dish with some oil or line it with parchment paper.
- Spread the mixture: Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the flapjacks are firm and slightly golden on top.
- Cool and slice: Allow the flapjacks to cool completely before slicing them into desired portions.
Tips and Recommendations:
When serving and preparing these delicious flapjacks, keep the following tips and recommendations in mind:
- For added texture and flavor, you can sprinkle some chopped nuts or dried fruits on top of the flapjacks before baking.
- If you prefer a sweeter taste, you can increase the amount of honey or maple syrup in the recipe.
- These flapjacks make for a great on-the-go snack or a quick breakfast option. You can pack them in lunchboxes or carry them during outdoor activities.
- Make sure to store the flapjacks in an airtight container to maintain their freshness.
- To make them gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats.
- Serve the flapjacks with a dollop of Greek yogurt or a drizzle of nut butter for added creaminess.
- Ripe bananas
- Rolled oats
- Cocoa powder
- Honey or maple syrup
- Almond butter or any nut butter of your choice
- Dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Vanilla extract