Bacon, potato and onion bake recipe
- Bacon: Bacon is a good source of protein and contains essential amino acids. It also provides important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, zinc, and selenium.
- Potatoes: Potatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They are also a good source of complex carbohydrates, providing sustained energy.
- Onions: Onions are low in calories and fat but high in antioxidants. They also contain vitamins C and B6, as well as dietary fiber.
- 6 slices of bacon
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from the skillet and crumble into small pieces.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they are caramelized and golden brown.
- In a greased baking dish, layer half of the sliced potatoes, followed by half of the caramelized onions and crumbled bacon. Sprinkle with half of the dried thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining potatoes, onions, bacon, and seasonings.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips and Recommendations
- For a healthier version, you can use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
- Add some grated cheese on top of the layers for a cheesy twist.
- You can experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor.
- Serve the bacon, potato, and onion bake as a side dish or as a main course with a salad on the side.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or halved depending on the number of servings you need.
- Make sure to slice the potatoes and onions evenly for even cooking.
- To save time, you can prepare the caramelized onions in advance and store them in the refrigerator.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.